The ASB Story

The American School of Bilbao was founded in 1967 by the American and British expatriate community in the Bilbao area, under the auspices of the Office of Overseas Schools of the U.S.A. State Department. ASB was recognized as a "Foreign School Located in Spain" by the Spanish Ministry of Education in 1981 and was initially accredited by NEASC and ECIS in 1985. The School added Grades 9 and 10 in 1990, Grade 11 in 2000 and Grade 12 in 2001. The first senior class graduated in June, 2002.

The School Administration consists of a Director, a High School Principal, a Primary School Coordinator, a Spanish Technical Director and a Business Manager. The School is staffed by the equivalent of 28 full-time teachers.

In 1984 the School added a separate EFL program for students of nearby schools. These extra-curricular classes are offered to approximately 1000 students during the summer months and, during the school term, on two weeknights and on Saturdays.

In 1974 the School moved to its present site in the rural community of Berango, approximately 10 miles from Bilbao. The School purchased the property and facilities in 1983 and in the ensuing years carried out several building and remodeling projects. In 2000 was finished a construction that included a large building housing the library, dining hall/auditorium, administration offices, staff rooms, a computer room, a small recreation room and lavatories. Some classrooms and a covered walkway were remodeled at the same time. The most recent construction has been the covered gym building (500 m2), inagurated for the 2011-1012 school year.